(OPEN) Claes Restaurant: "Food with a View" Top 5 Page for this destination Orange Restaurant Tip by Phalaenopsis03

Orange Restaurants: 42 reviews and 75 photos

Celebrating mom, 05.08.11

Celebrating mom, 05.08.11
    by Phalaenopsis03
      View from back of restaurant.
    by Phalaenopsis03

I wanted to take my mom and loved one someplace special for Mother's Day. I was doing some major online research until stumbling on Claes' Restaurant. It wasn't actually my first choice, but the other was already booked, and in hindsight I'm glad it was or we wouldn't have had the opportunity to dine at Claes, which the whole family enjoyed, especially the woman of the hour - mom.

Claes is located inside the Hotel Laguna. The hotel itself appears pretty worn out and outdated, especially from the exterior. Consequently, I was a little apprehensive when walking in. However, I was pleasantly reassured once we stepped inside the restaurant and noticed it's 180 degree view of the Pacific Ocean and contemporary decor. Mom was immediately impressed (score!).

Our lovely brunch by the ocean was capped off by a pod of dolphins swimming up and down the shore to greet all the wonderful moms a Happy Mother's Day. Perfect!

Favorite Dish: The menu was buffet-style at $45/person that included a complimentary glass of champagne or mimosa or orange juice for each person. The buffet selection included all the basic offerings of a brunch buffet along with a carving station for the leg of lamb and the roasted striploin. It also offered eggs Benedict, brioche French toast, free-range chicken breast, Scottish salmon, and salads and pastries galore. However, my favorite were the super jumbo bay shrimp. Yum!

Total bill: $215 that included a 15% gratuity
Mom's happiness: PRICELESS =)

Address: 425 South Coast Highway, Laguna Beach, CA
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Located inside the Hotel Laguna.
Phone: (949) 376-9283
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 4
Theme: Buffet
Website: http://www.hotellaguna.com/dining/

• Updated Sep 24, 2011

Comments

Phalaenopsis03

“I breathe to travel and travel to breathe.”

Have you been to Orange?