"Falconry & Flying falcons at Burg Werfen" Top 5 Page for this destination Austria Local Custom Tip by globetrott

Austria Local Customs: 104 reviews and 135 photos

This is a great adventure for the whole family, just take a look at my photos, the audience is sitting there watching, while eagles and falcons are flying in a short distance to them, you can almost touch them !
In the "Falkenhof" of Burg Werfen there will be daily performances of falcons flying in just a small distance from the audience, that is a really great experience !
Normally I never cared about such performances, BUT this time I had payed for it in my ticket already and it started exactely when the guided castle-tour was over, so I had a look and it was one of the best shows I ever saw : a lady and a man took position at different places of the large falconry-court, one of them had the falcon, eagle and other birds sitting on the arm and after a signal they were flying to the arm of the other person and landed there again, passing by the people in the audience without even noticing them, although the distance was less than 1 meter in many cases. It is a pity that my digital camera is very slow and takes a picture about 3-4 seconds after I press the button, so all I could do is press the button as often as possible and hope for some good snapshorts.
Some of them are quite good, some could have been better, next time I will be there with a more modern camera...
The Falconry-performances are in the "Falkenhof", step down the stairs at the restaurant, pass by the Casemattes, get out into the next court and walk down the steep path to the right !

Website: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1ffe4/4e394/

• Written Sep 23, 2011

globetrott Used To Live Here!

“in all 7 continents: veni - vidi - and took lots of pictures”

Have you been to Austria?