"MAISON DIEU HOUSE" Top 5 Page for this destination Dover Things to Do Tip by balhannah
Dover Things to Do: 154 reviews and 222 photos
Maison Dieu House is a red brick Jacobean mansion, possibly the oldest domestic building in the town of Dover.
The House was built in 1665 and over time used for many different purposes. At first, it was used by the Navy up until after the Battle of Waterloo (1815) when the Ordnance Department took over the house until 1834, to use as a residence for the officer commanding the Royal Engineers at Dover.
The house was then sold and used as a private residence by Mr R. W. Mummery, who was three times Mayor of Dover. He lived here all his life, dying in 1869. In 1855 the famous mountaineer Albert Mummery was born in the house.
It wasn't until 1904, Maison Dieu House was purchased by Dover Corporation and used as the offices of the Borough Engineer and Electricity Department. It was during the 1920s, the town's War Memorial was erected on the lawn in front of the house.
After being damaged during WW II, the building was converted for use as a public library in 1952 and used as such until 2004, when it became the home of the Dover Town Council.
There are still original features like the Jacobean staircase, the original wall panelling and exposed ceiling beams which makes it a very nice location for a Wedding ceremony.
Open on week-days from 9 - 5pm
Address: Biggin street, Dover