"- don't mess with the manager" Top 5 Page for this destination Port Douglas Retreat Tip by sirgaw

Port Douglas Retreat, Port Douglas: 285 reviews and 4 photos

Our first entry into Port Douglas Retreat did not exactly instill confidence for a happy stay. I had pre-booked a total of 12 nights for what is termed a ?tree view room? and had to pay a deposit of over $A600 as security. When we arrived I asked a charming Asian lady if I could see the booked room PRIOR to handing over my credit card to pay the balance of over $900. I was very curtly reminded by the male manager that I was within the 7 day cancellation period (the unsaid was that I would be liable for the entire amount if I walked away there and then). I?ve been caught before and was not going to be caught again. It was not a great start to our stay in Port Douglas.

The property is fine and has all the amenities as shown on their web site. The tree view room was, in my opinion, a real disappointment. Yes there was a view of tree tops, BUT they only partially hid a wall of the neighbouring property. Our room was close to the rubbish bins for both properties and judging from the loud crash of bottles, there had been serious drinking going on. It was a racket that disturbed our peace. It was almost impossible to get any view of the sky and I did dub the room ?Cell 30.? Photo number 4 above shows the view from our room. Amazing what can be achieved with creative photography on a web site.

The manager and I had another little disagreement and when we pointed out that the cause of the problem (partially blocked drain) was previous clients, he just shrugged his shoulders ? I believe he should have appologised for his tirade.

I had taken along a laptop as the properties web site advertised ? ?Wireless Internet available in all apartments.? It is a pity they don?t show the costs, which are considerably dearer than the 5 minute walk away internet café, which has much faster speeds than the in-house wireless internet. The property is charging what I consider to be an outrageous price for internet connection and they should indicate the costs on their web site. Likewise the in-room safe is priced at $4.50 per day and again not shown on web site..

In all fairness to Port Douglas Retreat, it is well located and only a few minutes walk to both the shopping/restaurant area of Macrossen Street and Four Mile Beach. The property has an extensive array of brochures and information on nearby attractions and tours ? I just wished the manager was less abrasive when dealing with his customers. Having seen the pool view rooms (both levels) I would consider they would be a far better option ? I strongly suggest you do not stay in a tree view room. Alternatively choose another property, which we will do if we return to the area.

About the photos:
1. Main entrance and yes they do have very attractive and well-maintained gardens.
2. Pool area and shows more of the gardens.
3. BBQ and outdoor eating area. 2 supermarkets within 5 minutes walk to stock up.
4. View from the back sliding door of "Cell 30" looking towards a wall.

Address: 31-33 Mowbray Street, Port Douglas, Queensland, 4877, Australia
Price Comparison: about average
othercontact: Fax: 07 4099 5033
Phone: 07 4099 5053
Price: US$120-180
Theme: Other
Website: http://www.portdouglasretreat.com.au/

• Written Sep 21, 2011

“"How can I have a favourite place when I haven't seen them all?"”

Have you been to Port Douglas?