Marius: "AVOID, PLEASE AVOID" Marius Tip by dancerapc

Marius, Rio de Janeiro: 30 reviews and 16 photos

We knew something was up before we even went. The man at the front desk of our hotel making the reservation for us mentioned on the phone to Marius that we were American. Why would that be necessary to know? In my tour book it mentioned that Marius had 30 different types of meats and was priced in the $20-30 range. That couldn't have been more wrong. We got there and were shocked at the price: $51 set price just for meat. We decided to stay and we all chose meat only. The only appetizers we were brought were seafood. We were told that the buffet was included. It consisted mostly of seafood. So I was paying for things I couldn't eat. We never saw a price list for drinks. The meat came out already cut so you couldn't request it rare or medium, etc. We only saw about 6 different choices. The same that we have seen at all of the other Brazilian steak houses. We were disappointed in the selection and the amount of meat. Most of us decided to get some food from the dessert buffet, which included cheese and fruit, and it was conveniently located next to the other buffet. When we went to pay ($741 for 10 people) we notice there was an extra charge for the dessert buffet. An extra charge of $11! The caiparinhas were $10! One of my friends tried to tell the manager that we didn't know there was an extra charge. We were told the buffet was included. He simply said "Oh" and then walked away. We decided just pay and get out of there. As we left I approached the same man and asked if he was the manager. He said yes and I repeated our problem and he just said "No, the dessert is not included." I told him it was unfair to insinuate that everything at the buffet was included when it was only partially included. He just repeated "No" I am so upset that such a place got so much money from us. I have been in Brazil for 2 1/2 months. I have been going to one steak house each week, sometimes 2 per week. I have gotten more and better food at places for a fraction of the cost, and people that are way nicer. There is a place just around the corner where everyone spoke english, they were very nice, explained everything, gave every single price, and were happy to bring out more food or whatever it was whenever asked. Marius was a complete scam and rip-off. DO NOT EAT THERE.

Favorite Dish: None.

Address: Av Atlantica, Leme
Price Comparison: most expensive
Phone: 552122750652
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 1
Theme: Steakhouse

• Written Sep 19, 2011

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?