"Lochinver" Top 5 Page for this destination Ullapool Off The Beaten Path Tip by micas_pt

Ullapool Off The Beaten Path: 12 reviews and 22 photos

Church of Scotland

Church of Scotland
    by micas_pt
      Culag Hotel, the Skoda was our rented car!
    by micas_pt
      Lochinver, a village by the loch
      Lochinver, a fishing village
    by micas_pt

After driving past Loch Assynt, and taking a break to explore around its margins where you may find the Calda House and the Ardvreck Castle, we finally made it to Lochinver.

We headed for Culag Hotel, where we planned to drink a coffee. As we entered its bar, accompanied by our son, the staff told us that children were not allowed, so he suggested we would wait by the hotel's lobby; and so we did, soon after we sat on the sofa he came along and brought our coffees. When planning our visit to Scotland I read in several places that most bars don't allow people under 18 years old. But in Lochinver was the only bar where we were reminded of that.

Lochinver is a fishing village, and we found Culag Hotel to be one of its most imposing buildings, architecturally speaking. Later, I read that this hotel was built in 1873 as a shooting lodge and the existing herring station was incorporated in the construction. Even though its bar looked like and felt like any other typical bar, I enjoyed our stay in the lobby/ waiting room, with the classical worn sofas; a bit of further exploring in its public areas made me think of the Hotel as one of those iconic places that decay a bit with the years going by, but still remains charming and full of character.

Another building I liked, is the church by the shore, but I didn't manage to find further info about it, only that is named Church of Scotland and it's is situated on Main Street by the loch.

Don't miss the port, always a nice place to photograph, imho.

• Written Sep 19, 2011

More Off The Beaten Path in Ullapool (1)

Comments

micas_pt

“Don't stress, enjoy the places.”

Have you been to Ullapool?