"Trg Brace Hrvatskog Zmaja" Top 5 Page for this destination The main attractions Tip by croisbeauty
The main attractions, Zagreb: 67 reviews and 137 photos
Favorite thing: Braca Hrvatskog Zmaja (The Knights Order of the Dragon) was first founded in 1408 by Croato-Ungarin King Sigismund, under the name of Ordo Equestris Dragonis. This secret organisation, which members could have been Croats of noble origins, had in its beginning the one purpose only, to defend catholicism against pagans, schismatics and enemies of the faith. During centuries though it transformed into historical and cultural society. The seat of the society is at the first floor of the tower above Kamenita vrata (The Stone Gate).
After long period of silence, the society was re-established in 1905, and in ocasion of the 90th anniversary this small square in front of the Stone Gate was named Trg Brace Hrvatskog Zmaja.
Fondest memory: The equestrian statue of St. George is work of Austrian sculptors A. Kompatscher and A. Winder. and it shows St. George after his fight with dragon. The statue was originally located in Mallnitz, Austria, in front of Villa Liebermann and in 1937 was given as a gift to Croatatian Duke Ivan Mazuranic. The statue was located in Villa Mazuranic until 1994 and since that time is located at the new place in fron of the Stone Gate.
More Reviews (238)
- See All Park Zrinjevac XXL
- See All 06.02.16. Chinese New Year in Zagreb
- See All Chinese New Year in Zagreb
- See All When Zagreb go crazy
- See All Old bike as a bilboard
- See All Rent a city bike
- See All Among top 5 restaurants in Croatia
- See All Kaptolska kurija - Kaptol nr. 2
- See All Climate in Zagreb
- See All Youngsters like it alot
- See All The statue of August Senoa
- See All This is not a trap tip
croisbeauty's Related Pages
Have you been to Zagreb?Share Your Travels