"Unstable weather and smoked salmon" Top 5 Page for this destination Ullapool Local Custom Tip by micas_pt

Ullapool Local Customs: 5 reviews and 10 photos

Port, with beautiful background
by micas_pt

-> Be sure to pack warm clothes and shoes, even though it's Summer! Ullapool's situated on the Northwest of Highlands, so it might get a bit freezing even in July. Days are long, sun rises early in the morning and sets late in the evening, but days don't always end as they start as weather is quite unpredictable and changes often during the day. Actually, one thing I noticed while planning our Highlands road trip, is that B&B's in Ullapool all advertise facilities for drying your clothes and shoes.

-> Ullapool was founded as a fishing village due to herring in late 18th century, which are "frequent" of these waters. When we visited, we didn't taste the herring, but instead we tasted the salmon, which is also typical of Scotland. If visiting Ullapool, be sure to taste their smoked salmon, it's amongst the best I've ever had. The smoked salmon on my salad wasn't cut in thin layers but consisted of chunks (not sure this is the word, I believe so as Jamie Oliver uses it quite often when cutting food).

• Written Sep 18, 2011

“Don't stress, enjoy the places.”

Have you been to Ullapool?