"Ullapool" Top 5 Page for this destination Ullapool Favorite Tip by micas_pt

Port, with beautiful background
  • Clock - Ullapool
      From Argyle Street to Shore Street
    by micas_pt

Favorite thing: Basically, Ullapool consists of some streets and the port.

It's a small village, and I've read that with its 1.400 inhabitants it's northwest's main centre of population. I'm sure this number rises during summer months, because when we visited, even though it was terrible weather, there were a lot of visitors around. Also, many hikers base their stay here as neighboring mountains and coastline provided nice walks and hikes. Furthermore, Ullapool is the starting point to wildlife cruises and ferries to Summer Isles and Isle of Lewis.

While in the village, we walked around its streets and admired the port. I love watching port movement, mainly ports of this type: fishing ports. I love to watch and photograph the colorful fishing boats, the seagulls flying crazy because of the fish (in the case fighting the wind), the decayed sea beaten paint, the cords and ropes, the fishermen, ? I could spend days at a port. The day we visited Ullapool, we made a very very brief visit to the port, and photos are lousy: frozen hands didn't allow much habillity with the camera. :)

The street by the shore it's Shore Street and it houses some restaurants and souvenir shops. After a walk in the cold, rain and wind, we agreed it was time to lunch and choose a nice restaurant, ? unfortunately I didn't write its name, but it serves pizzas, feels like an Italian restaurant ? I choose a salad cooked with smoked salmon and patatoes, and it was a delicious warm salad, comforting and filling. The smoked salmon it's probably one of the best I'd ever had. My husband went to a cold salad and my son, obviously, delighted himself with a pizza and a freshly made orange juice to prevent colds.

The "other" main street it's parallel to Shore Street and it's named Argyle Street. There you'l find the tourism office and the museum, which we didn't visit. I enjoyed the clock on the street, which is on my third photo of this review but I didn't manage to find further info about it.

Even though we didn't make the most in Ullapool, I loved being there, and I am sure when I return to Highlands I'll visit again or even base my stay here.

• Updated Sep 18, 2011

“Don't stress, enjoy the places.”

Have you been to Ullapool?