"Renovated hippy cottages at Machans Beach" Top 5 Page for this destination Cairns Off The Beaten Path Tip by tropicrd
Cairns Off The Beaten Path: 52 reviews and 147 photos
Machans Beach is a laid back beach community north of Cairns.
It is the first beach and is a popular fishing spot,moon gazing spot with fantastic views over the Coral Sea and Trinity Inlet.
Machans was a big hippy community in the 60's 70's and up to the 90's where flower power and all things natural were commonplace.The cottages along O'Shea Esplanade were frowned upon by the rest of Cairns but in the last say 15 years it has become the in-place to live.Why not with it's close proximity to Cairns CBD and with views and a lifestyle to die for.
The cottages are being renovated and restored to what I can only describe as a great place to settle down for the rest of ones life.There are chairs near the rock wall where you can relax and have a drink when the sun goes down and watch the moon rise or you can catch a fish or two to cook on the bbq.Lots of locals head to the Ebony & Ivory Restaurant & Bar which has lots of daily specials and live entertainment on certain nights.
Stroll along the Esplanade and enjoy.Have a look at Machans Beach cute post office.
othercontact: Cairns road maps.
More Off The Beaten Path in Cairns (13)
More Reviews (118)
- See All Mango Madness
- See All Cairns newest Tropical & Romantic...
- See All Good coffee at the club
- See All Stop for fresh fruit and vegies.
- See All Don't get stuck in the mud.
- See All Working holidays in Cairns
- See All qconnect--new bus timetables
- Galleries have control of Indigenous...
- See All "Your shout mate"
- Pandamonium Live Bands
- See All Fishing list and tips for Families.
- See All Sport at Cazaly's,Cairns
tropicrd's Related Pages
Have you been to Cairns?Share Your Travels