"Baby Beach - deceptively shallow DROWNING DANGER" Aruba Warnings Or Dangers Tip by jumpingnorman

Aruba Warnings and Dangers: 43 reviews and 36 photos

small island in distance we went to, Baby Beach
    by jumpingnorman

We went to Baby Beach and it was really beautiful --- the very shallow blue waters looked perfect for kids and in the distance u see some people snorkelling. I walked with the JumpingTwins (7 years old) to the island just off the beach and it was just about 4 feet all the way, and we enjoyed seeing the fish by the island...an hour later, my wife joined us and she said it was a bit hard for her to go to the island, and that her feet did not touch the sand ....that's when I noticed that the waters seem to have risen! So it was now over 5-6 ft! So, I just swam back to shore to get some help to bring us back! And I was swimming back, there was some undercurrent as well so it was hard to swim back....I did finally get a local to help me get the rest of the JumpingFamily by using a small float/raft....I later googled Baby Beach and saw that several people have drowned in this area around the island, specially where they snorkel. The beach is wonderful...but just stay in the really shallow side and watch your kids because sometimes because of the clear blue shallow waters, we forget that the sand shifts below and that we are not in a man-made pool which has constant depth....

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

I made a video of our trip to Aruba!
Hope you like this:

JUMPING FAMILY IN ARUBA!

• Updated Apr 4, 2013

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Yeah, this place is no joke. Our guide told us he once had to save 8 people. One was on the tour, 7 were not. What I thought was reef, was actually see grass. Unfortunately, the best snorkeling is in the dangerous area. IDK who recommended this as a top snorkeling spot. It is NOT a safe area. If I wasn't with a large group of people, I would never snorkel here.
    This beach sucks, to be honest.

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:50 PM

I read that this beach is great for snorkeling, and that it's called "Baby Beach", because it's so calm, a baby can swim there. How deceptive. Thanks for the heads up on this beach. I might find another beach for snorkeling, or just pay the $80 for the tour. At least I know I won't drown.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Good tip. I didn't know there were tides in this part of the Caribbean.

jumpingnorman

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish TRAVEL MORE”

Have you been to Aruba?