"the tollroads in Norway" Top 5 Page for this destination Tromsø Transportation Tip by globetrott

Tromsø Transportation: 23 reviews and 45 photos

Driving along the coastal roads in Norway is mostly some fun, BUT now and then you have to pay toll and this is done in the most stupid way I even saw:
The Toll-system for cars is fully automatic and an invoice will be sent to your homeadress ! It might take 1-6 months untill you get a letter from Great Britain and who knows, maybe I will have my 1st invoices already in my postbox in Vienna, while I am still driving through Norway. (This is what I thought, while planning to drive through Norway untill early November)-.
OK, then I had my carproblems and came home already end of September and found out : I did not yet get the invoice in my postbox, although I did not drive anywhere in Norway after Sept. 11th.
Next question is : Will they send 1 bill for all places where I passed through these automatic toll-meters or will I get seperate ones for oslo, Bergen, Trondheim etc.
---
Another possibility is to pay at some petrolstations in the outskirts of the cities, BUT it is YOU who has to remember how much toll you owe them and pay in that exact amount.And when you dont pay enough that way, they will send you an invoice for the rest !
Around Oslo the Shell-stations will collect this money, in Bergen it was ESSO, so you always have to read first the instructions somewhere at a few parkingplaces, where the system is explained...
And then you can only hope that you pay at the last and not at the last-but-one station of that area...
---
The same system apllies for Bergen and other towns, while overland-roads are mostly to be payed cash

The best thing I may say about their toll-system:
Even after 5 years I did not yet get any bill from them !
;-)

Mode: AROUND
Type: Car/Motor Home
Website: http://www.autopass.no/

• Updated Oct 9, 2014

Comments

globetrott

“in all 7 continents: veni - vidi - and took lots of pictures”

Have you been to Tromsø?