"Richard I Coeur-de-Lion statue." Houses of Parliament - Palace of Westminster Tip by breughel

by breughel
      Richard I Coeur-de-Lion - House of Lords.

Richard I Coeur-de-Lion statue.

This is a wonderful statue in the wonderful architectural surrounding of Westminster Palace.
Richard I of England (1157 – 1199) Cœur de Lion - the Lionheart was King of England, Duke of Normandy, and Count of Anjou.
This heroic and iconic king of England did speak only French and during his ten years reign spent only a few months in England. He lived in his Duchy of Aquitaine, in the southwest of France, when he was not fighting somewhere in France or being one of the leaders of the third Crusade.

The bronze equestrian statue (which underwent a renovation in 2009) is from Marochetti a favourite sculptor of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert and was installed in 1860 on the granite pedestal in front of the House of Lords with the name Coeur de Lion written in French.
The cost of erecting the statue was paid by public subscription.
The bas-relief panels for the sides of the pedestal are also from Marochetti. They show Richard's victory over the Saracens at Ascalon and the dying Richard pardoning Bertram de Gourdon who had shot at him with a crossbow causing a fatal injury.

Address: Parliament Square, SW1
Directions: Westminster tube
Phone: +44 20 7219 3000
Website: http://www.parliament.uk

• Updated Nov 7, 2013

breughel

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Have you been to London?