"Yes, the "Gypsy" girls can hear and speak!" Beggars & Aggressive Vendors Tip by morezennow

Beggars & Aggressive Vendors, Paris: 116 reviews and 58 photos

I had read about the fake deaf girls who distract tourists with petitons while their chums pick their pockets but didn't think I'd actually see them in action! We were on our way to the Pompidou Center and while at a street corner (with a red "do not cross" man illuminated) a group of rowdy teenage girls just blasted their way through the crowd. Cars were coming, mind you, and one of the girls banged her hands on the hood of a car as it screeched to a stop. She was shouting quite colorful expletives, it was bizarre. So we finally get to the museum and who should we see but the loudly swearing teenager, playing like she was deaf, with her petition out to an unwary tourist with her little gang poising to swarm the poor bloke. As we walked by I said to the guy that we just heard her cussing up a storm down the street. He dropped the "petition" to the ground and stomped towards the queue. Truly quite gutsy and very sad...they probably have some kind of "pimp" they have to pay, too. If you see these girls or women (and we saw them at all the major sites) just say "No" and keep walking. They didn't keep after us or follow. I wish I would've taken a snap or two!

Address: Paris

• Written Sep 15, 2011

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Paris?