"Diskit Monastry in Nubra Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Leh Things to Do Tip by abi_maha

Leh Things to Do: 101 reviews and 245 photos

The Buddha inside
      The Buddha inside
      The Buddha outside
    by abi_maha
      Could I be reborn as this statue??
    by abi_maha
      AJ climbing up the steps
  • Diskit Monastry in Nubra Valley - Leh

Diskit Monastery also known as Deskit Gompa or Diskit Gompa. We were driving in from Khardungla and reached this monastry in the afternoon. Even from outside it looked beautiful, as we were only just getting acclimatized to the height we took our time climbing the stairs and reaching the top. But once we did, what a view it was!! Magnificient mountains surrounded us even as we overlooked a glorious Nubra Valley. The scenery was stunning and wonderful!! This is the oldest and largest Buddhist monastery (gompa) in the Nubra Valley of Ladakh, northern India and once you are here your mind automatically just soaks in the beauty and forgets everything else!
It belongs to the Gelugpa (Yellow Hat) sect of Tibetan Buddhism. It was founded by Changzem Tserab Zangpo, a disciple of Tsong Khapa, founder of Gelugpa, in the 14th century. It is a sub-gompa of the Thikse gompa.
The monastery has statue of Maitreya Buddha in the prayer hall, a huge drum and several images of fierce guardian deities. An elevated cupola of the monastery depicts a fresco of the Tashilhunpo Monastery of Tibet.The Monastery administration runs a school, with support from a Non-Government Organization (NGO) known as the "Tibet Support Group", which has computer facilities and teaches science subjects, in English, to Tibetan children of the region. There is a 32 m high Buddha Statue outside the monastery that faces Pakistan on the Nubra Valley by the Shyok River, this statue was constructed recently in the late 2006 or so. I really wished I could be reborn as that statue so I could just sit and have this view for the rest of my life! The photos do no justice to this place...it is meant to be experienced and so I urge you all to travel there and spend at least a day in this monastery.

• Updated Sep 15, 2011

“i live from one trip to the next”

Have you been to Leh?