"Living Like A Monk!" Monasterium Poortackere Tip by johngayton

Elegant Dining Room
  • Chapel - Gent
      Modernised Frontage
    by johngayton

For a characterful hotel in central Gent this place is a must. The building was formerly a monastery (hence the name) and all of its original features are substantially unaltered. My budget single room (with shared facilities) was one of the monk's cells and whilst plain and simple, as expected, was surprisingly spacious, the bed comfortable and a practical work desk ideal had I been intending to stay for a few days.

Reception was welcoming and friendly and on departure I needed to borrow a needle and thread to make some emergency repairs to my overnight bag which was no problem.

I was only here for an all-too-brief overnighter, arriving about 10.30 pm and departing the following morning but I was suitably impressed with my initial impressions and will certainly put this place at the top of my list next visit.

One thing to note is that if using www.booking.com this is listed as the Guesthouse PoortAckere but is locally known as the Monasterium.

Unique Qualities: The building itself is its outstanding feature. Whilst the furniture, lighting etc (including excellent freebie WiFi throughout) are fully modernised the hotel retains all of its original features and character of its former incarnation as a monastery including its magnificently vaulted chapel. Bedrooms are plain and simple but not as austere as perhaps you might expect and the public areas, such as the dining room, give you a taste of the Medieval lifestyle without compomising on the little luxuries you might want from a 21st century city visit.

The location is great too - a few minutes walk from the old city (and close to the #1 tram line), which of course made it ideal for the continuance of my monk-like stay as the beers of the of the other Belgian monasteries had to be sampled in the old city's bars ;-HIC!

Address: Oude Houtlei 56
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: About 5 minutes walk east of the old city, on a side street that runs parallel to the canal where the Graslei is.
Phone: 003292692210

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:44 PM

great hoteltip !

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2012 at 3:44 AM

I also stayed at this Monasterium when I was in Ghent last August. I liked the spooky medieval atmosphere and soft religious music at breakfast, but I was glad nobody tried to proselytize me or save my soul or anything like that.

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Have you been to Gent?