"Feeding the Fish or Birds" Top 5 Page for this destination Florida Keys Warnings Or Dangers Tip by grandmaR
Florida Keys Warnings and Dangers: 14 reviews and 23 photos
In spite of this sign, people were tossing food scraps to the tarpon and pelicans. People like to see the animals come up close where they can see them.
But as the sign says, this is not good for the animals. DO NOT feed any processed foods that contain sugar, salt, spices, cooking oils, or flavorings. Examples of bad foods include flavored peanuts, granola bars, bread, table scraps, and Cheetos. The foods people can offer are not as healthy as the varied diet they would normally eat
Feeding birds and fish leads to:
* behavioral problems -- they lose their fear of humans and become aggressive; unnatural feeding encourages species that would never usually come into contact with humans to interact. This may result in serious injury and harm to individuals.
* malnutrition from eating foods with low or no nutritional value; birds or fish may stop natural feeding cycles which are important to ensure they are receiving the correct nutrients to survive.
* increased spread of disease;
For birds in particular,
* birds may be injured from swallowing hooks and nonfood items and by swallowing large fish bones which they cannot digest -- large fish bones can puncture a bird's pouch, get caught in the throat, and even puncture a bird's stomach;
* degradation of water quality (from concentrations of bird feces);
* parent birds who are dependent on humans for food and therefore cannot teach their own young proper foraging techniques to feed themselves.
More Warnings and Dangers in Florida Keys (2)
More Reviews (17)
- See All Aids to Navigation on the Hawk Channel...
- See All Watch for the Green Flash
- Truman White House
- Hides a Secret
grandmaR's Related Pages
Have you been to Florida Keys?Share Your Travels