"Bedbugs!" Rodeway Inn And Suites Ithaca Tip by ben_m

Rodeway Inn And Suites Ithaca, Ithaca: 93 reviews and 1 photos

I was attending a conference at Cornell with a friend, and booked a room (two queen beds) at the Rodeway for the nights of Friday and Saturday, September 9th and 10th, 2011. We were initially given room 159, but the room had a pungent sweet smell like an air freshener. We requested an alternate room, and got 152, but this room had the same odor.

We were concerned about toxicity, and met some neighbors in the parking lot. I voiced my concern, and he said it was common for hotels to smell like that, and I got him to smell and confirm. It was late, and all other area hotels were booked, so we accepted it, and Friday night went without incident.

During the day on Saturday we opened the windows to air out the room. Upon returning Saturday night, most of the odor had dissipated. We went to bed, and just as I was falling asleep, I felt something bite my wrist. I flicked it off and turned on the light. A bug was slowly crawling across the sheets, so I lightly squeezed it, killing it without mutilating it. I took photos, went on the Internet, and to my horror it was a perfect match for a bedbug. (I would submit photos if I could.) My friend found another bedbug crawling on his sheets.

I put my bug in a styrofoam cup and brought it to the front desk. The guy looked unsurprised and casually told me there are no available alternate rooms. He said he would refund Saturday night only if we checked out then. (He refused to refund Friday.) As we checked out, he said something which drew a sarcastic chuckle from me. He responded, "You shouldn't laugh. You're lucky I'm giving you a refund because it's past the time I'm allowed to do so."

All the area hotels were booked, so we had to drive all night long back home to Canada. I've spent the past two days trying to disinfect my belongings and my car. I hope I didn't bring them back with me. This has been a costly and traumatic experience.

Unique Qualities: Bedbugs

Address: 654 Elmira Rd, (formerly Wonderland Hotel), Ithaca, New York, 14850, United States
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Phone: 607-272-5252
Price: US$120-180
Theme: Motel
Website: https://www.choicehotels.com/new-york/ithaca/rodeway-inn-hotels/ny362/rates

• Written Sep 12, 2011

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.