"LEGAL Pickpockets in Prague - be aware!" Prague Tourist Trap Tip by Petrutech

Prague Tourist Traps: 298 reviews and 180 photos

Just returned from a 7 days trip to Prague. I've done some good homework, and I almost wished to give up, as at all the sites is written "beware of pickpockets". I never seen a pickpocket in 7 days or heard from my local friends about. However, I found that there are LEGAL pickpockets in Prague, a lot.
It seems that the tourists have a $100 bill stuck on their head or face.
Let's begin with urban transport" Metro, Tram and Bus. They use the same tickets. You have to buy one for a short trip, another for a longer trip a 1 day ticket or even a 3 day ticket, depending on where you wish to go. You must stamp it ONCE in the transportation you chose.
The Czech "conductors" may find the difference between a resident or a tourists. I've been checked 5 times, and so many tourists - never a resident. I had these 5 times luck - my tickets were OK. Some tourists could not buy tickets as not all the stations have tickets machines. ALL of them had to pay a fee of 35 EURO!!! maybe they are guilty, they could buy tickets from their hotels. However, the rudest thing happened to me at "tower of Petrin" and please be aware!!!
The place is marvelous, and my wife and me decided to use their "funicular", some kind of small train, which climbs in 3 minutes to the hill. We bought 2 tickets, and just to be sure, we asked if they are 2 way - up and down. Positive answer. After climbing the tower and other attractions, we decided to return by the same "funicular. I asked the conductor if the tickets are OK for returning, got a positive answer, and we we arrived down, 3 men expected us. They told us that we should buy a new ticket, as this one is only for 90 minutes! (we were 118 minutes on the hill). You cannot argue with them, as they call police. We paid 70 EUR. The police came for the tourists who didn't have cash money (most of the funicular), and the POLICE took them to an ATM and oblige them to withdraw money and pay. It ruined all the trip of this day for most of us, and I am sure that even it is not a HUGE sum, we all felt that "someone", a LEGAL pickpocket robbed us. This was the first and last time we visited Prague, a city with LEGAL PICKPOCKETS!

Unique Suggestions: If you are caught, don't even try to argue with them...

Fun Alternatives: If you have to waste your time in Prague for more than 4 days (you can cover 100% in 4 days, including most of the "must" places" - then buy a ticket for 3 days. It worth, even if you won't "use" it completely. It worth.

• Written Sep 12, 2011

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Prague?