La Tarasca: "A Slice of Mexican Reality" Centralia Restaurant Tip by glabah

Restaurant has Many Odd Artworks
      Two Waintresses behind Lunch Counter of Eccentric
      Artwork above Windows and All Around
    by glabah

This rather unassuming little restaurant is one of the top rated restaurants in Centralia on some web sites, so I thought I would give it a try. I was not disappointed at all.

Upon entering the restaurant, the owner of the establishment greeted us and led us to a table. There, she opened the menu for us, and explained where she was from in Mexico, and that the food cooked here is authentic to her state - and indeed some of her recipes have been handed down from her mother and grandmother.

She then gave us a small bowl of salsa and a small bowl of pickled carrots, and explained "We do not serve chips here. This is not what we do in our part of Mexico. Instead, this is what we serve where I am from."

She suggested that I try the carnitas (this wouldn't work for my vegetarian mother, so my mother got one of the entrees which was vegetarian). I thoroughly enjoyed them.

The restaurant owner offers specials every day.

The walls of the restaurant have an artful assortment of decorations of all manner, and chances are you will find something of interest if you search the walls and shelves with your eyes.

While the view of the street isn't much to look at, it does at least have windows.

I was quite impressed with how fast the food arrived, despite the obvious care taken to prepare the meal.

According to the menu, there are a number of children's items available, and this is probably why the restaurant is reasonably popular with families with children.

Another item that is interesting about this place: Normally, Mexican restaurants in the USA come in two types: those that are popular with Mexican immigrants, and those that are popular with everyone else. Those popular with everyone else tend to be Americanized in some way or another. La Tarasca seems to attract a respectable number of both.

The restaurant DOES NOT have a full bar, and therefore the selection of alcoholic drinks is fairly limited. When someone comes in and asks for some very specialized alcoholic drink the restaurant owner or their workers have no hesitation to suggest going down the street to Casa Ramos near the freeway. Alcoholic drinks are not something she wishes to specialize in has no desire to.

Generally the restaurant puts up the closed signs about 8:45 in the evening, with official closing time at 9.

Favorite Dish: I have not eaten enough here to be able to say what is my favorite, but I certainly plan to eat here again and try a few other meals.

The Flan offered for dessert was exceptionally good.

The carnitas I had on my first visit here were quite good, and the Taquitos Tarascos enjoyed on a later visit were also quite good.

Address: 1001 West Main Street, Centralia, WA 98531-2852
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: From downtown go west on Main Street. On right side of street just after crossing a railroad line. From Interstate 5, go east from exit 82 on Harrison Street, slight right turn after bridge. 1 block after sharp Left curve.
Phone: (360) 736-7756
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5
Theme: Mexican

• Updated May 6, 2012

Comments

glabah

“Do something every day that scares you - even if just a little bit.”

Have you been to Centralia?