"Take a sunset cruise" Harbor Cruises & Whale Watch Tours Tip by leics

Old Ironsides fires its cannon
      Old Ironsides fires its cannon
    by leics
      Sun setting behind the skyline
      Sunset harbour view
      Skyline I
    by leics
      AA plane coming in to land over the harbour
    by leics

It may initially seem a tackily touristy thing to do but I found this cruise surprisingly interesting.

I don't 'do' such things normally. But the idea of getting onto the water and away from the city heat was very appealling, and I knew I'd get some good shots of the Boston skyline. So I bit the bullet and booked.

The cruise pootles around Boston Harbour (which is huge), ensuring that it is near 'Old Ironsides' for the cannonshot which marks the end of each day. For some reason my particular ship mis-timed its arrival, so we were still moving when the cannon was fired...but it mattered not because (pure luck!) I got a photo anyway (and, for a Brit, cannons firing is not really a big deal anyway).

There is a running commentary, which is helpful. Unless you are well up on Boston's geography and history you are not going to know what you are seeing, and the commentary included some extra bits o information as well.

If you've got a better camera than me, and it's a clear evening, you are certain to get some superb shots as the sun sets behind Boston's skyline.

So I would definitely recommend a sunset cruise if you are visiting Boston at a time when the weather is reasonable.

No need to worry about motion sickness unless you are very sensitive; unlike the whale watching tours this boat stays within the harbour's sheltered waters. As it's a big boat movement is minimised anyway. But do take an extra layer of clothing with you: it's always, always cooler out on the water.

I've added the website for the company I used, but there are others...sailing ships and dinner cruises. You can buy tickets at the booths on Long wharf as well as various other ouytlets and, of course, online.

Address: Long Wharf
Website: http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/boston-harbor-cruises/sunset-cruise.aspx

• Updated Sep 11, 2011

More Things to Do in Boston (1)

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Have you been to Boston?