"GRUYERES CASTLE" Top 5 Page for this destination Gruyères Things to Do Tip by balhannah

Gruyères Things to Do: 65 reviews and 243 photos

by balhannah

A visit to Gruyeres and the Castle was on my must see list. The castle, built in the 13th century was home to the many Counts of Gruyeres until the last Count was declared bankrupt!

The Castle sits high on a hill, with beautiful views of the valley and surrounding towns, well worth seeing!
Once inside, I learnt there are eight centuries of architecture, history and culture!
In 1938, the State of Fribourg bought and opened the Castle and a Museum to the public. Now, we can all see what it was like during those eight centuries of change.

I was very surprised that not many people were in the Castle, even though there were quite a few Tourist Coaches. Perhaps, as it was lunch time, they were all enjoying a meal, if so, it may be a good time to visit.
I walked around by myself, but I do believe tours are available. It was interesting, worth the money, and I will tell you a little more in the next tip.

OPEN....April to October : 9:00- 6pm
......November to March : 10:00-4.30pm

Adults : CHF 9.50 Seniors, students : CHF 8.50

Parking spaces are available at the entry of the town, 500 meters from the castle.

Address: 8 Rue du Chateau
Website: http://www.chateau-gruyeres.ch

• Written Sep 11, 2011

“Don't wait till you retire to travel, do it now!”

Have you been to Gruyères?