Cafe Alsace: "Friendly and Warm" Decatur Restaurant Tip by riorich55

The Fabulous Chicken Pate
      Chicken Crepe with Loads of Extras
      Extra Special Bread Pudding with Ice Cream
    by riorich55

After VT member Rex Vaughan and I made contact he invited me to have dinner in his home town at a wonderful little restaurant. Rex and his wife Sacra have been here a number of times and when they and I entered they were greeted like family by both our server for the evening, Christel and the chef Scot. We arrived shortly before 7:00 p.m. and awaited another VTer, Chris (Balfor).

While we waited for Chris we shared a bottle of red wine that Rex ordered and had the house speciality, chicken liver pate. I'm not a big lover of liver, but as Rex promised this is the best liver pate he has ever tasted among all his world travels and it is right in his backyard (ok, maybe 5 blocks away from where he lives, but that's close enough). And it was delicious. Check out the 2nd and 3rd pictures of our server Chirstel pouring us a glass of wine and the wonderful pate.

Around 8:00 Chris hadn't yet arrived, so we ordered our dinner.

Favorite Dish: Restaurants that put their daily specials on a chalkboard or white board always attract my attention. I probably shouldn't even look at the regular menu, because once I see the specials they always are well written and look so darn gooooooood!! Cafe Alsace was no exception to this rule. They had several specials of the day along with a couple of special deserts. I got up from our table in the back to take a closer look at the white board with the specials which was on one of the side walls. I then read the menu back to Rex and Sacra and when I saw the deserts I asked Christel jokingly if we could start with those.

I ordered the chicken crepe with sundried cherries, polenta, feta with green beans and salad. You'll see this delicious meal in picture 4. I usually never finish a full meal at a restaurant and got about 2/3 through this huge crepe before I had to stop to make sure I had room for desert. Fortunately my hotel room had a frig, so 2 days later I was able to again enjoy the evenings meal this time for lunch.

I should mention that Chris arrived just after we placed our order and he was able to finish off the last few bites of the pate that we hadn't devoured and order his meal. We then had Christel take another set of VT meeting pictures with all 4 of us.

Now on to desert. They were both very yummy looking, but I always have loved bread pudding ever since my great grandmother used to make it when I was growing up so I opted for it. The bread pudding had raspberries, blueberries and apples and was served with a caramel sauce. And to top it off (actually again it wasn't topped off, but on the side) was an indescribably, out of this world (maybe universe or galaxy even) homemade honey and lavender ice cream. Picture #5 shows the dessert which of course I finished off.

All in all a great night with 3 new friends.

I'm going to post the other Cafe Alsace pictures I took in a little travelogue for Decatur.

Address: 121 East Ponce de Leon Avenue
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Near the Old Courthouse
Phone: 1 404 373 5622
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5
Theme: Local

• Updated Sep 11, 2011

“"There is no better high then discovery"”

Have you been to Decatur?