"The glowing spectacle of pumpkin season!" Toronto Things to Do Tip by CatherineReichardt

Toronto Things to Do: 1,347 reviews and 2,332 photos

Pumpkins on sale, Toronto
by CatherineReichardt

One of my trips to Toronto was in late September, which coincided with the height of the pumpkin season.

This was not a great source of joy for me, as I have to confess to a deep distrust of the entire pumpkin race, and the cuisine that it spawns. I believe that veggies should be unequivocally savoury, and any sort of candied vegetable - unfortunately a staple of Afrikaans cuisine - should be treated with the contempt it deserves. The cloying sweetness of pumpkin pie, pumpkin fritters that should be served as pudding rather than a main course accompaniment and dubious attempts to fill pumpkin cavities with stuffings that juxtapose sweet and savoury are absolutely not my scene: in fact the only pumpkin relative that I'll tolerate under sufferance is butternut (and only then as soup and on the condition that someone else peels it). In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I am firmly of the opinion that the best thing to do with a pumpkin is to make a Halloween lantern out of it!

However, I have to concede that the sheer spectacle of pumpkins piled high, in all their variation of shape and size and glowing colour was an enduring image of my time in Toronto. They evoked the unfettered abundance of harvest festivals and giving thanks for the fruits of farm labour in less complicated times, and were quite beautiful - just don't expect me to volunteer to eat the decorations!!!

As in the US, pumpkins are an integral part of the Thanksgiving celebrations. Just bear in mind that Thanksgiving is about six weeks earlier in Canada than it is south of the border: the second Monday in October as opposed to the fourth Thursday in November.

As a fitting memento of this visit, I picked up a very nifty little pumpkin carver in a supermarket which cost me all of $1.99 and makes carving Halloween lanterns an absolute doddle: my good kitchen knives certainly breathed a collective sigh of relief when it joined my batterie de cuisine!

• Updated Aug 6, 2012

Comments

CatherineReichardt

“Never go the same way twice!”

Have you been to Toronto?