The Dickens Inn Grill restaurant.: "Chargrilled Rib-Eye Steak" The Dickens Inn Tip by breughel

The Dickens Inn, London: 9 reviews and 23 photos

The Dickens Inn Grill restaurant (upper floor)
by breughel

I had been a couple of times at the Beer Garden and after a pint of Stout had opened my appetite, and there was still sunshine on the balconies (7 pm in August), I decided to make a try.
I was well aware that due to its location this is a touristy restaurant with only 52% recommendations from the 44 TA reviews, some saying "terrible"!
But on the grill restaurant (upper floor) menu I read they had:
"Chargrilled 28 Day Matured Rib-Eye Steak 18.95
An 8oz English rib-eye steak cooked to your liking, with home made onion rings, chunky chips, mushroom & tomato."

At home I usually grill Rib-Eye Steak because this somewhat fat meat tastes best on the barbecue. I was intrigued by the 28 Day Matured which I don't find in my usual shops.

So that I went up to the second floor, I asked for a table on the balcony and got it immediately although I was alone. Waiter was OK, he understood that I wanted what in French we call a steak "saignant" (bleeding) and translated by "rare"; I had forgotten the word.
I had to wait a quarter of an hour to get my steak; there was a large party of tourists in the main room.
Cooking and taste were fine (like at home!) but I didn't find the advantage of the 28 day maturing. The chips were typical British, thick and not crusty (I did not expect Belgian frites!).
I had ordered a glass of red wine Rioja Crianza which was low in quality, a further Pinot Noir from France was better.

To conclude satisfactory; good if you are sitting on the balcony.

Address: St. Katherine's Dock - east of Tower Bridge
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Nearest Tube, Tower Bridge then walk East, turn into St. Katherine's Dock.
Phone: Phone: + 00 44 (0)20 7488 2208
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 3
Theme: Local
Website: http://www.dickensinn.co.uk/

• Written Sep 9, 2011

Comments

breughel

“Heureux qui, comme Ulysse, a fait un beau voyage”

Have you been to London?