"Hiking around Baños" Top 5 Page for this destination Baños Things to Do Tip by MalenaN

Baños Things to Do: 91 reviews and 281 photos

Baños seen from El Mirador de La Virgen
      Baños seen from El Mirador de La Virgen
  • - Baños
      Mirador del Vulcán
  • - Baños
      Path down to Bellavista
    by MalenaN

2011: One day I went hiking for four hours above Baños. The weather was nice and the landscape beautiful. I met some people, but was most of the time all alone. It was a very pleasant walk. I started the walk by taking the stairs up to La Virgen . First I couldn?t find the starting point of the path towards Runtun, but a jogger coming up to the statue pointed it out for me, and he also said that if I walked the narrow path strait up I would come to Mirador del Vulcán. I took the path towards the village Runtun and from there I continued to Mirador del Vulcán. It was much longer, but not as steep and I didn?t want to make the walk as short as possible. At Mirador del Vulcán you will have a great view of Vulcán Tungurahua, when it is clear, but on this day the summit was covered in clouds, as it is most days. Then I walked back down to Runtun and from there I walked along the road to Bellavista, until I found a path, also going to Bellavista. From Bellavista it is easy to walk down to Baños.

There are more photos from the hike in two of the travelogues below.

I also made a hike up to Bellavista another day.

2014: I only did one hike while in Baños this year, and that was up to Café del Cielo. Before going I had first asked at the hotel how long it would take and they said 1.5-2 hours. A young guy at Geotours said it would take 45 minutes and at the tourist office they said 1.5 hours. It took me 45 minutes to walk from Parque Central up to Café del Cielo. It is uphill all the way and for me, who had spent time on high altitude for a while (and had climbed Cayambe just two days earlier) it was easy.

• Updated Sep 11, 2014