"Party Spot with Rooftop Bar/Restaurant and Pool" Hostel Pangea Tip by mircaskirca

Hostel Pangea, San José: 488 reviews and 4 photos

• pool - San José
      my room
    by mircaskirca
      rooftop bar/restaurant with amazing view
    by mircaskirca
      nice meal with mixed vegetables and rice
    by mircaskirca

Hostel Pangea is a well-known hostel in San José, quite popular among travellers. I read different reviews about it, from very good to very bad ones. But from what I saw on the pictures it looked quite nice, and besides, it seemed very safe. Usually I try to get away from party hostels and rather stay in quiet places. But since it was only for one night it was fine. From my past experience, private rooms get booked quickly in big cities, so I made a reservation well in advance and confirmed it a few days before the arrival.

Unique Qualities: The hostel is located in the heart of the historic Barrio Amón area, three blocks away from Avenida Central, and just steps from the supermarket, restaurants and bars. The hostel was fully renovated in March 2010 and is extremely well run and safe. It has a security guard at the door and electronic locks on every door. There is a 24-hour reception with helpful bilingual staff. Each guest gets a free map upon arrival. The hostel offers dorm beds as well as private rooms with shared or private bathroom. I had a private room with a fan and shared bathroom which was 32 US $ (December 2010). The room was small and very basic, and there was nothing but a double bed with a comfortable mattress and a digital safety deposit box for passport, money and camera. It had a tiny glass window to the corridor. Clean linen was provided. The bathrooms were kept clean, however there was no hooks or shelves for clothes. Facilities provided at the hostel include a rooftop bar/restaurant with amazing view of the city and mountains, swimming pool, big TV room, laundry, book exchange and shuttle service to and from the airport.

Since I only stayed here one night I could not take advantage of everything the hostel offered. After the whole day in a bus, all I needed was a nice meal (which I had in their rooftop bar/restaurant, offering costarrican and international food), warm shower and a good rest and sleep. But overall, Hostel Pangea seemed a great place to stay and meet other travellers.

Address: Av 7 between Calles 3 & 3bis
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Barrio Amón
Phone: +506 2221 1992
Price: US$20-40
Theme: Hostel
Website: http://hostelpangea.com/

• Updated Sep 8, 2011

Have you been to San José?