I like java, sweet and hot: "Ahwa Mazbout for me" Cairo Restaurant Tip by TheLongTone

Cairo Restaurants: 367 reviews and 549 photos

The coffeehouses of Egypt are glorious, fulfilling the function served by bars or pubs in the West. Of course, no alcohol is served, (I hardly ever drink, so rather like this: the conversaion may become animated, it rarely becomes incoherent, and random violence is most unlikely) but
they serve a huge variety of drinks, including kerkady, an infusion of hibiscus flowers, drunk hot or cold, which is an Egyptian speciality.

Coffee by default comes black and in a small glass, complete with a nice coating of grounds at the bottom, and one specifies how much sugar is wanted to the waiter. Mazbout is ordinarily sweet, and since that's how I like it that's the only arabic I have.

Tea is similarly black (or red), although you can get it milky: Brits should be aware that this will not get you anything like "a nice cup of tea", and will certainly involve Liptons Tea, in those tagged bags. A depraved drink, and to be avoided.which I don't think I've ever seen on sale in the UK, not even in a grocers ctaering to an ethnic group of some kind. One of my phots shows a list of drinks where it is describes as 'Libton' rather than 'tea' (there is no 'p' in arabic, it generally gets turned into 'b')

Comparison: N/A
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: Coffeehouse

• Updated Nov 4, 2012

Comments

TheLongTone

“If the viper is too heavy to carry, why use a python as a head-cushion?”

Have you been to Cairo?