"Forum questions regarding hiking from Abisko" Norrbottens Län Sports & Outdoors Tip by sim1

Norrbottens Län Sports & Outdoors: 7 reviews and 6 photos

Hi Konrad,

I am a bit late in my reply, but I guess you haven't gone on your trip yet?

I just returned from a hiking trip ending at Abisko. The camping ground is beside the tourist station of Abisko (5 min walk) and the tourist station is very close to the train stationv of Abisko.

Camping at the campground requires a small fee (not one of my favourite campgrounds I have to admit, very small lots). Camping in Abisko National Park is only allowed in allocated areas as this is a National Park (so no wild camping here). The first campground is at the one end of the park (as mentioned, the Abisko campground), the second is on the south side of the National Park (Abiskojaure). The third one is somewhere inbetween these two at a place called "tältlägret". I haven't been at this place yet though, but I assume this third camping ground is free. The second one (Abiskojaure) is part of the Swedish Tourist Association and a fee needs to be paid. As soon as you get outside the bounderies of the National Park it is wild camping.

Will you be camping in Abisko and use this as a base for day trips, or will you be doing a long hiking trip backpacking with tent and so on? Abisko is the start of the famous Kings Trail and besides that many hiking possibilities are possible from Abisko.

Drinking water is plenty with many rivers and creeks with safe and delicious water.

I always hike with my hiking boots and when you stick to the Kings trail you won't have a lot of water obstacles on the way, but there are some! I normally take a pair of light weight walking sandals with me to cope with the wading of the rivers along the trails. Depending on the rain levels and the choice of trail you will come across easy to much more complicated rivers to wade.

To find hiking routes I would recommend buying a map of the area (can be bought online) where you can see all the hiking trails)

I hope this helps you a bit with your questions.

:-) Simone

Theme: Hiking

• Written Jul 31, 2011

Comments

sim1 Visits Here Frequently!

sim1

“Forever smiling :-)”

Have you been to Norrbottens Län?