"Meenakshi Shrine" Top 5 Page for this destination Madurai Things to Do Tip by mehulraj

Madurai Things to Do: 75 reviews and 141 photos

Meenakshi Shrine

After taking tickets ,crossing the kilikoothu(parrot kept in cage) Mandapam we enter the shrine of Devi Meenakshi.A three storeyed Gopuram stands at the entrance.There will be different queue for Darshan(Glimpse) according to the tickets taken.Wait in a queue and when entering into main place there will be different queue for men and women Its always there in all south indian temples but I dont see people following this procedure here but to avoid any undue attention I prefer to follow normal custom.
And after having glimpse of deity its procedure to take round of Meenkshi shrine from entrance to towards Mukkuruni Vinayakar.I did sth wrong here,I started taking round in opposite direction then one old gentleman asked me to avoid doing such things.And according to hindu rituals this should not be done.I followed his instructions.
While we were standing in queue,there you will see this picture all around the wall of temple.These picture tells us the history of Meenkshi temple but only draw back is this things are written in Tamil language,you need translator to understand these things.Anyways the pictures are carved nicely atleast we can enjoy that while standing.

• Updated Jul 19, 2011

mehulraj Visits Here Frequently!

“One's destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things. ”

Have you been to Madurai?