"Birding in Tobago.." Top 5 Page for this destination Tobago Things to Do Tip by Greggor58

Tobago Things to Do: 17 reviews and 39 photos

Hummingbird,Adventure Farm,Arnos Vale,Tobago.

Hummingbird,Adventure Farm,Arnos Vale,Tobago.
    by Greggor58
      Blue Bird@ Jemmas,Black Rock,Tobago.
      Shorebird,Turtle Beach,Tobago.
      MotMot,Turtle Beach,Tobago.
      Shore Bird,Turtle Beach,Tobago.
    by Greggor58

Tobago is known as an international destination for viewing exotic birds and you can see some of the many species that inhabit or pass through here either by guided tour or simply by chance as you explore the countryside or beaches. Even just hanging on the porch at Jemmas I saw hummingbirds and Mot Mots and an interesting little blue bird that would stop by the outdoor shower for a drink. I saw a variety of shorebirds just walking the beaches.

I did NOT book a tour by a guide but there are some that come highly recommended by those that have more experience than I have and you can find those recommended guides through another web based information source about Tobago which I’ve provided here on these Tobago pages.

It is the geographic location and its immediacy to the South American continent that lends itself to the variety of birds seen here.

During my latest visit I made a little trek to the Adventure Farm and Nature Reserve located just outside of Plymouth in a small hamlet named Arnos Vale. Here you can see a variety of different birds if you’re lucky. The main reason that I visited here was to see for myself the HOARDS of hummingbirds that feed at a series of feeders set up to attract the little creatures. In addition to the hummingbird feeders you can walk a variety of trails that wind they’re way up and down hillsides into and out of some interesting and sort of manicured terrain. There are patches here and there of some amazingly beautiful “Bird of Paradise” flowers that area really quite exotic and this “natural” terrain is what attracts so many varieties of birds..

Just as you enter the main area of the complex, close to the main house, you’ll find a few chairs set up along the wall of the house about eight feet maybe from the feeders. I sat and watched until I had had enough but it was really quite something to see this little extravaganza. I’ve never seen so many at one time ever before and I think it’s a pretty unique experience.

If you’re mobility challenged you would likely have difficulty making your way around the grounds but I think you could get to the feeder chairs easily so hopefully you can enjoy this little spectacle as I was able to.

Address: Arnos Vale Road, Plymouth, Tobago.
Phone: 868 639 2839
Website: http://www.adventure-ecovillas.com/

• Written Jul 17, 2011

Comments

Greggor58

“Every road goes SOMEWHERE...”

Have you been to Tobago?