"Kalekoy (ancient Simena island)" Kas Things to Do Tip by June.b

Kas Things to Do: 79 reviews and 249 photos

by June.b
      little bazaar
    by June.b

Since Sunken City is a little letdown to me, the tour immediately redeem itself in just few minutes when I saw the small village up the hill facing the Kekova island -- it's the Simena Island.

Kalekoy means (castle village) and true to its name, this village have a prominent castle on top of the hill that is easily visible from the distance. The approach is a bit dramatic like I'm imagining we're pirates approaching to attack the small hill island within the ocean. Sorry for that wild imagination -- it didn't happen.

it was really nice, our boat stopped at the landing of the island village and we all walked out of the boat onto the village. We were greeted by the islanders sitting on the stairs leading up to the castle, mostly kids, who are selling some souvenir stuff like hand-made beads bracelets at TL1.

The ascend to the castle is tiring through several steps.

You have to pay TL8 to enter the castle ground. The view on top of the castle is (I'm tired of using this word...) spectacular -- 360 degrees of ocean, rock mountains, sarcophagus scattered all around, sunken islands all at a price of TL8!

Since the palce is really remarkable, we have been given an hour or so to explore the village.

Go on to the next tip...

Address: Demre, Antalya, Turkey

• Updated Jul 15, 2011

“Traveling is the best education there is...and the most expensive one, and no graduation. (Quote me)”

Have you been to Kas?