"Budapest metro" Budapest Warnings Or Dangers Tip by Stacyh25

Budapest Warnings and Dangers: 204 reviews and 108 photos

I just returned form our first and possibly last metro ride in Budapest- we started our horrible adventure in the square in front of Gerbeaud Cafe. We asked the a lady standing in front of the ticket takers for help and she rudely gestured to the ticket computer- we spent literally 10 minutes researching which ticket would be best for our family. We then selected the family ticket for my self , sister , husband, daughter. We printed the ticket and presented it to the same metro attendant -an actual person - to make sure it was correct- to get on the metro. I specifically asked her if we were ok as a "family ticket" she gestured yes and to board the metro. We boarded the metro and a couple of stops later a group of metro "police" boarded the train and b-lined it straight for our family. We were the only people asked for their ticket. We then were informed that my sister was not included in our "family " ticket (you can have up to 7 kids) but no sisters- something to be said for family planning! I explained how we had specifically ASKED a metro ticket taker to make sure we were ok and given the WRONG information. We were fined 6000 huf - after asking for the police to come and being told it will take hours for this to happen. The next metro exp was as horrible and after all of this I will recommend to video EVERYTHING! It is funny how people act when they know they are being taped!

• Written Jul 7, 2011

Ranked Member

Have you been to Budapest?