"Madrasa Al Kamiliya" More Madrassas and Mausoleums Tip by June.b

More Madrassas and Mausoleums, Cairo: 21 reviews and 58 photos

So I continued walking along Muizz street after a couple of hours marvelling inside the House of Suhaymi, then I suddenly saw this interesting gate or entrance (I told you, don't ignore interesting stuff, just get in or ask), I thought it was a mosque, well, in fact there's a mosque inside onto the left right after the gate and a woman who appeared to be doing a laundry appared and gave me that hand sign to get in, so I did.

There are some water faucets on the right side where apparently she's doing her laundry where actually people wash (ablution) prior to performing their prayers and around are some ruins with the domed structure that looks like an ampitheater. She said the word madrasa, and I know what it means -- a Islamic school.

The Kamiliya Madrasa is built by Sultan El Kamil in 1225 is the second largest after the one in Damascus, Syria. Although, noting much is left of the original structures, even the arched ampitheater structure is a new structure. Still interesting to see.

Entry is Free, though if you're in a generous mood, you can hand out a couple of egyptian pounds to the lady there.

Go now to the next stop on this Islamic Cairo Walking Tour...

Address: Muizz Street, Cairo, Egypt
Directions: Located throughout the City

• Written Jun 29, 2011

Comments

June.b

“Traveling is the best education there is...and the most expensive one, and no graduation. (Quote me)”

Have you been to Cairo?