VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Shikumen Houses - Xima Ji" Top 5 Page for this destination Architecture Tip by Mikebb

Architecture, Shanghai: 8 reviews and 20 photos

Dilapidated Shikumen Houses - Xima St Old City

Dilapidated Shikumen Houses - Xima St Old City
      Xima St - Shikumen and Other Style Two Story House
      Overseas Chinese Assn Building - Xima St. Old City
    by Mikebb

There was much to see as we walked this street with the feature being the number of Shikumen 2 storey homes which were mostly in a dilipidated condition but still occupied. Some had the washing showing and a few children in the street.

As we approached the corner of Xima Ji and Fangbang Zhong we came to a beautiful two storey building in decay. It would have been a magnificent 1930s or earlier building, most likely Art Deco inside but now uninhabited.It was the former Overseas Chinese Association Building.

I immediately realised why it was not being restored when I looked across the street and saw the next few streets were bulldozed to the ground, not one building left standing. Beyond this devestation I could see apartment buildings under construction.

I thought how lucky we were in choosing this walk over other Shanghai attractions. I realised that the district we had just walked will most likely be rubble within a few years. I thought, how can the Shoe Repair Man master the move to a modern shopping mall.

Address: Xima Ji (Street), Old City, Shanghai

• Updated Jun 22, 2011

Comments

Mikebb

“Enjoy every sight, every day”

Have you been to Shanghai?