"Taxi!" Tirana Transportation Tip by planxty

Tirana Transportation: 45 reviews and 72 photos

Taxi, Tirana, Albania.
by planxty

I must admit I had heard a few horror stories about taxi drivers in Albania and, on general principle, I am alway suspicious of them in places where I am obviously a visitor. To set the scene, I had been on a bus from Skopje (Macedonia) all night, desprerately trying to keep awake and had to be at the airport for a 1430 flight.

I was having my umpteenth coffee in a nice little cafe on the main square in my attempt to induce insomnia and spoke to the friendly waiter about the situation. I had read that the fare should be about 17 Euros, so I said I would pay twenty. OK, a little over the odds but I just wanted to get there and I thought a pre-arranged price was better than haggling over a dodgy or non existent meter. No problem at all. My new best friend the waiter told me all was well and his mate across the road would be happy to oblige. He duly appeared, took my bag for me (unusual for taximen), we went to his car, negotiated the slightly lunatic traffic and arrived in good order. Job done. My suggestion is to know what the fare should be roughly and negotiate on that rather than a meter.

Mode: AROUND
Type: Other

• Updated Jun 11, 2012

Comments

planxty

“I have declared myself an unsafe building!”

Have you been to Tirana?