Ca Leon Ristorante Cicchetteria & Wine Bar: "Hotel Recommended!" Venice Restaurant Tip by starship

Venice Restaurants: 799 reviews and 1,029 photos

Ca Leon Restorante Canal-Side Tables
      Ca Leon Restorante Canal-Side Tables
    by starship
      For a quick cappuccino or glass of wine
      Ca Leon Ristorante inside decor
      Pasta with Seafood
      Cannelloni with smoked cheese
    by starship

On the recommendation of our hotel, our first evening meal in Venice was taken at " ' Ca Leon Ristorante Cicchetteria & Wine Bar". Located on a quiet side canal, 'Ca Leon features tables canal-side but also a cozy and visually interesting interior decor. We chose a table by the window, hoping for the best of both worlds. The two-room restaurant, divided by a wall, nicely separated the one side holding only a few dining tables and the other featuring banquettes with a trio of tiny tables for the wine bar. Warm woods, stone, mosaics, paintings, red table linens, shiny glass cases and a lovely bar appealed to me immediately.

We had the restaurant to ourselves for quite a while which allowed service to be very prompt but still without much warmth. The four of us all chose a pasta dish, ranging from speghetti with prawns to cannelloni with spinach and smoked mozzarella. Along with two glasses of wine, a large bottle of water and a Fanta ( + cappucinos??), the bill totaled 89 Euros----very reasonable for Venice, but still about $140 with our highly unfavorable exchange rate.

Still, I enjoyed the meal because our family was together in this magnificent city, and I admit that looking out on that quiet, beautiful canal scene and the artsy red & black restaurant decor added to my enjoyment of 'Ca Leon that evening.

Favorite Dish: My husband and son enjoyed their meals of speghetti with prawns as I did with my spinach and mozzarella cannelloni. However, after viewing the restaurant's cozy wine bar made me wish for a casual cappuccino, glass of wine or cocktail or snack just to be in that area of the restaurant (see photo below)!! Perhaps on our next visit!

Address: Santa Croce, 215
Price Comparison: about average
Phone: %cr041.2440291
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 3
Theme: Local

• Updated Jun 29, 2011

“Any day spent traveling is a good day!”

Have you been to Venice?