"Terrible and Insulting Front Desk" Royalty Barra Hotel Tip by riopel

Royalty Barra Hotel, Rio de Janeiro: 624 reviews and 0 photos

? The reservation for the Master Oceanic room was made 1 week ahead.
? I arrive at 21:30 for performing the check-in. The lobby was full of travelers that were delayed due to their flight cancellation related to the Volcano in Chili.
? At 22:00, a receptionist kindly explained that they were having difficulty due to the Volcano in Chili and kindly requested to be understanding and to return in 20 to 30 minutes and that my room would then be ready.
? I cordially left and returned at 23:00 providing twice the time requested for preparing the room. Upon my return, the lobby was finally freed from the delayed travelers. I was nevertheless requested to wait another 15 to 30 minutes and informed that room was still not ready.
? I then complained that I have been waiting for almost two hours and that a discount should be given for my lost time or possibly even provide a free night. Marcelo replied ironically that I could make a suggestion in the suggestion box. The sarcastic comment was inappropriate and unnecessary and no apologies were given for the late room.
? At 23:15, Front Desk informed me that a lower standard room would be given instead of the pre-paid Master Oceanic room. I complained that I was told almost two hours ago that my room would be ready and they were now given me a lower standard room. He insisted that no other room was available. I responded that I would take the room but that they would have to provide a discount considering that they were not providing the room standard paid by the company at a higher rate.
? Instead of responding that someone would get in contact with us the next day to provide a discount or rectify the situation, he simply responded that we should complain with the reservation center because there was nothing he could do.
? I requested to speak to the manager and was told that there was no manager. Considering the difficult evening, it is not justified that no manager or concierge was available. I complained that they should have a manager available or someone able to take a decision to address my complaint and providing the discount for the lower standard room without having to call the reservation center. I was told that if I was not satisfied I should go to another hotel !!!
? I was very disappointed to be treated with sarcasm and to be told to go to another hotel if I was not satisfied.
? If you are looking for an hotel which will charge you for a room and give you a lower standard room for the same price and be treated badly, this is the hotel to choose.

Unique Qualities: Insulting front desk.
Will give you any room at no discount price even if you paid for an higher standard.

Address: Avenida do Pepe, 690, Barra da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro, 22620-170, Brazil
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Phone: +55 21 2483-5373
Price: US$180 and up
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.royaltybarra.com.br/site/

• Written Jun 18, 2011

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?