"Brooklyn neighborhoods: time of day means alot" Safe and less than safe areas Tip by frm233

I lived in Brooklyn recently while attending school and can say that, as far as neighborhoods go, it really depends on the time of day. While there are some neighborhoods I would never venture in on foot at night, I would not mind being there during the day (if I had a good reason to be there though).

Where I lived in Bushwick (off of Myrtle Ave by the M train) is not all that bad actually. Bed Stuy and Bushwick are pretty much gentrified and the people that I know that live in those areas are definitely not walking through trouble on their commute home. I took the train home at many hours of the night - not a great idea in retrospect - and never really felt threatened. Plus, if you keep a low profile and stay alert you won't attract much attention. For the most part, people are trying to go home like you. Just don't act like you own the place because that's stupid.

OK, so some areas I would'nt want to move near: East New York, Flatbush, Brownsville, Cypress Hills, Canarsie, etc. I drove through East New York one night and got lost..wasn't the worst, but still didnt feel like I should hang around and peruse the neighborhood. My only mugging/jumped experience was actually in the wee hours of the morning near the projects in Williamsburg, so I still think it depends on what time you are out. There are really sketchy places everywhere depending on what time you see them.

Its true,most places in Brooklyn are getting very expensive to live in. Things could drastically change in a manner of 6 months over there. Bushwick has gotten so gentrified that I cant even remember what it looked like when I first saw the neighborhood from the train. I would definitely live there again, but want to move out to the West Coast more. Good luck.

• Written Jun 17, 2011

Comments

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Brooklyn?