"Luxor Temple" Luxor Temple Tip by June.b

Luxor Temple, Luxor: 135 reviews and 313 photos

Founded in 1400BC, the Luxor Temple is located in the east bank of Luxor - ancient Thebes - just beside the Nile River. I'm trying to avoid cutting and pasting info, so read it at Wikipedia, here: Luxor Temple

The temple is beside the hotel I was staying at (Nefertiti Hotel) so no sweat. I woke up early in the morning to avoid too much tourists swarming the area, though of course there are already some bunch of visitors inside but it's not that much. As I was looking for the entrance, the military guards pointed to me the way, you'll find it at the back of the big mosque right near the town square where families congregate and have picnics during evenings.

The Luxor Temple is the first sight that gave me real goosebumps, the columns are amazing and conditions of the statues, collosus, the columns, pylons, the peristyle court, the wall inscriptions -- they are in really good condition and walking along the temple gives you the feel of the place, the ancient feel that is, and you'll start to wonder how these stuff were brought about. How the ancient egyptians did such marvelous temple -- not only the laborious work but also the amount of artistry and intelligence.

I finished my Luxor temple visit walking along the avenue of the Sphinx before taking a caleche to the Karnak Temple by noontime.

Address: Mabad al Oksor, Luxor, Egypt
Directions: just at the back of the bigger and newer mosque in the town square.

• Updated Jun 16, 2011

“Traveling is the best education there is...and the most expensive one, and no graduation. (Quote me)”

Have you been to Luxor?