"Falling coconuts & sea cucumbers" Bora-Bora Warnings Or Dangers Tip by iolanthe108

Bora-Bora Warnings and Dangers: 14 reviews and 10 photos

I was in Bora Bora with my ex-partner. The island is exquisite and one of the most beautiful places that I've ever seen. However, we were walking along the road, which is extremely narrow -- just a strip of land really -- from the Sofitel Motu to a small marche up the road from there, and he was almost hit in the head by a falling coconut.

This isn't unusual at all in the tropics so we didn't blame Bora Bora! Just avoid walking right under coconut palms.

The only other danger I can think of that we encountered on Bora Bora probably barely qualifies. There were a lot of sea cucumbers (a type of rather large sea slug that looks like a big gray cucumber) on the ocean floor. We were told that they could irritate the skin if we stepped on them. Not sure if there are always so many, since they were really packed, so we wore light sandals to walk in the water. I actually wore a pair of China Flats that I bought for about $8 in Papeete when we first got into French Polynesia.

Other than that, Bora Bora is stunning!

Oh yeah, it is possible to get punched in the wallet though ;) If you can manage it, GO.

• Updated Jun 14, 2011

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Bora-Bora?