"Islamic Cairo - El Muiz Street" Islamic Cairo Tip by June.b

Islamic Cairo, Cairo: 30 reviews and 49 photos

I know it's a huge area, but let me give my experience area-wise.

I've read a lot of stuff weeks before I started this trip to avoid getting lost (much) and looking genuinely stupid. I've been to Memphis, Sakkara, Giza pyramids (twice), Coptic Cairo...so on the 4th day I decided to explore the most popular area in the city called Islamic Cairo. I took a taxi from my hotel (near Tahrir Square) to Bab Al-Futuh, I know I've to start here and walk my way until Bab Zuweila, and that is some kilometer and a half, traversing the length of Al Moez Ldin Allah or Mui'z Street or Moez Street --- if it's arabic, everyone has his own spelling -- sounds like that.

This is the best street to walk along if you want to get to see most of the Islamic Cairo heritage.

I paid the taxi EGP10 or 15, I know he went around again to extend the trip. Anyhoo, about 15 minutes from Tahrir, I reached the Bab Al-Futuh, it's a massive gate, a fortification of the city during the medieval times. I entered the gate and started my walking tour stopping by most of the old structures like the AlHakim Mosque, Qalawun Complex, Bayt Al-Suhaymi, House of Mustafa Jaffar, there was also an underground cistern, so many mosques, medrasas, old houses, buildings, and of course the Khan ElKhalili souq.

Walking along the ElMuiz Street is like being transported in the Islamic past. This street used to be the principal street in Cairo -- those were the days when wide roads and highways are not yet in existence.

El Muiz Street is the way to go if you really want to take in a lot of sights in the Islamic area of Cairo, and you have a limited time.

Read the rest of my "Things To Do" tips starting from the Bab Al-Futuh to find out what I've seen during my own Walking Tour of Islamic Cairo...gooooo!

Address: Al Moez Ldin Allah Al Fatmi Street, Cairo, Egypt
Directions: Take a taxi to Bab Al_futuh, all drivers knows it, but you can also start at Bab Zuweila, and end up in Bab Al-Futuh.

• Updated Jun 30, 2011

“Traveling is the best education there is...and the most expensive one, and no graduation. (Quote me)”

Have you been to Cairo?