"Paris Golden ring pickpocket" The Gold Ring Scam Tip by janegott

The Gold Ring Scam, Paris: 31 reviews and 7 photos

We just spent two wonderful weeks in Paris. The French could have not been nicer to us. I speak French and had wonderful conversations with everyone I approached. My husband doesn't, and said that people were very helpful and made every effort to communicate, sometimes with comical results.

We prepared for the pickpockets before we left the US. I sewed hidden second pockets on the inside of my husband's and my slacks, which were not visible from the outside. We took safety pins and pinned these pockets closed when we traveled. In these pockets we carried credit cards, most cash, health insurance cards, and passports. My husband put a old wallet with one dollar in it in his back pocket as bait, and some pickpocket got it before we got to our first destination. In order to access our valuables, we had to reach inside of our slacks and unpin the hidden pockets. We were in Europe a total of five weeks and lost nothing except the one dollar my husband planted for a pickpocket. In Paris at major tourist sites, like the Jardin des Tuileries, we were approached by a well dressed young woman trying to give us a gold ring she thought we had dropped. A French woman rode up to us on her bike and yelled that this ring woman was a pickpocket and had been out there for years. We encountered several other ring women in our two weeks stay. There are also Romanian children under 18 in small groups, who approach you with what appears to be a survey on a clip board. Their goal is get side by side with you and as you read the survey and sign it, their little hands are emptying your pockets. We got so we could recognize them at a distance. A good way to discourage them is to yell Non or Degage. We did not chose to transport our luggage by metro, thereby avoiding any possible problems at train stations. I myself live near Washington, DC, and have been pick pocketed twice in DC. There are gangs of pickpockets in the national monuments on the mall in DC and in the train station too. By all means visit Paris or wherever you wish; just stay alert to your surroundings.

Address: Paris