"Camera shops along Fishermans Wharf - Beware" Fisherman's Wharf Tip by Generic_Penguin

Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco: 77 reviews and 50 photos

On holidays from Australia and went to Fishermans Wharf and noticed 5 or so camera stores all on the same street. Thought great stuff all this competition is great for the consumer. In to first store and they gave us a great price on camera and then proceeded on an intenses don't take no for an answer had hard sell on accessories and lenses at massive markups hopping we only done research on the camera itself. We stuck to our guns and after 20 minutes said only the camera please. Then they told us they don't have any in stock and to try the people further down. Yet there are 3 on the shelf.

Repeat the process at each shop, each one given opportunity to retry the exact same hard sell on more lenses. They are all texting each other as well so they know you are coming. The 4th shop we went to before telling them no to the $700 additional lens they tell you cost them $450 that a google search show is $300 RRP. I asked if they had the camera in stock and to double check and it was all yes yes. Then told them no to the extra lenses and only wanted the camera. Then we are told the camera cost they said was not what they said multiple time in last 20 minutes. When I told them they did they abuse me and said "Am I calling him a lier". I pull out iPhone and told them I recorded conversation as 4th place on same road that has tried something. They told me and my wife we were trouble makers and abused us as we were walking out.

Buyers beware.

Unique Suggestions: Research what you want and dont buy anything you have not researched prior.
Get everything in writing on the receipt they promised you and pay on credit card if your credit card offers you fraud protection

Fun Alternatives: Stick to brand name shops.

• Updated Jun 4, 2011

Ranked Member

Have you been to San Francisco?