"Comfy but small rooms...inconvenient location" Wakeup Copenhagen Tip by travelmad478

Wakeup Copenhagen, Copenhagen: 622 reviews and 5 photos

The Wakeup is about a 10-minute walk from the central train station, but it is in a neighborhood with absolutely no shops/restaurants/services, nothing around at all. If you stay here, it is more or less imperative to get the hotel breakfast (60 kroner/person/day) or you will end up having to walk back to the train station to eat every morning.

The rooms are very small, a tight fit for two people, but reasonably comfortable with a good TV and free wi-fi. No closet, just a couple of hangers and a drawer under the bed, so pack light! There are no coffee/tea facilities in the room. The bathroom is also tiny but clean and well-designed. Towels, soap, and a packet of shower/hair gel are provided, nothing else. The rooms are very modern and quite clean, which is nice.

The big downside of this hotel is the price. For what you get, it is shockingly expensive. In June 2011, I paid USD 250/night for an 8-square meter room with breakfast for two people. Given the remoteness of the location, this seemed really excessive. Two years ago, we stayed at a very similar but much better located hotel in Berlin, Motel One Alexanderplatz, for far less. I'm not sure why Copenhagen is such an expensive place to stay, but be prepared!

Address: Carsten Niebuhrs Gade 11, (next to Kalvebod Brygge 38), Copenhagen, 1560, Denmark
Comparison: about average
Directions: About a ten-minute walk from the central train station--leave the station on the Tivoli side, turn right, walk toward the water and turn right on Carsten Niebuhrs.
Price: US$180 and up
Theme: Hotel

• Updated Jun 3, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Golly! We only paid $97us a night for two people, I wonder why yours cost so much. We were there in August 2011.

• travelmad478's Profile Photo
      Dec 15, 2012 at 6:27 PM

No idea, but I think you got an amazing deal. CPH is pretty widely acknowledged as an extremely expensive city.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Dec 15, 2012 at 6:35 PM

YES, We found it extremely expensive. I would have been like you if I paid your price, it definitely isn't worth that much. Perhaps it was because I booked early it was cheaper,...who knows! I think you were ripped off!

travelmad478

“You live once!”

Have you been to Copenhagen?