"High Water Mark Memorials" Top 5 Page for this destination Gettysburg National Military Park Things to Do Tip by Yaqui

  Vermont Infantry
by Yaqui
 
  • Vermont Infantry - Gettysburg National Military Park
      Vermont Infantry
    by Yaqui
  • Vermont - Gettysburg National Military Park
      Vermont
    by Yaqui
  • Thirteenth Vermont Volunteer Infantry - Gettysburg National Military Park
      Thirteenth Vermont Volunteer Infantry
    by Yaqui
  • John Gibbon Brigadier General - Gettysburg National Military Park
      John Gibbon Brigadier General
    by Yaqui
  • "Tammany Regiment" - Gettysburg National Military Park
      "Tammany Regiment"
    by Yaqui
 

The First Memorial:
16th
Vermont Infantry,
Colonel W. G. Veazey
commanding

First Army Corps
July 1-2-3-1863

Participated near this point in action of July 2nd
Picketed this line that night - held same as skirmishers
until attacked by Pickett's Division, July 3rd.
Rallied here and assaulted his flank to the right 400
yards - then changing front charged left flank of Wilcox's
and Perry's brigades. At this point captured many hundred prisoners and two stands of colors

The point to which the above inscription refers
is south 58 degrees, west 1000 feet
from this monument
and near the northerly end of the Codori thicket

The Second Memorial:
Vermont in honor of her sons who fought on this field.

From the right side:

First Vermont Brigade:
Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth
and Sixth Regiments;
Brig. Gen. L. A. Grant commanding;
Second Brigade, Second Division, Sixth Corps.
----
The brigade reached the field
near Little Round Top in the afternoon
of July 2, 1863, by a forced march of
thirty-two miles, and soon after
was assigned to the left Union flank,
where it held a line from the summit of
Round Top to the Taneytown Road
until the close of the battle.

From the rear:

Second Vermont Brigade:
Twelfth, Thirteenth, Fourteenth,
Fifteenth and Sixteenth Regiments
Brig. Gen. George Stannard commanding
Third Brigade, Third Division, First Corps.
----
The brigade arrived on Cemetery Hill July 1, 1863.
The Twelfth and Fifteenth Regiments were detached
to guard the corps trains. About sunset, July 2,
the Thirteenth, Fourteenth, and Sixteenth moved to
this part of the field, retook Battery C, Fifth U.S.
and re-established the Union line.
----
July 3, these regiments held the front line in
advance of this spot. In the crisis of the day, the
Thirteenth and Sixteenth changed front, and advancing
200 yards to the right, assaulted the flank of Pickett's
Division. The Sixteenth then moved back 400 yards to
the left and charged the flank of Wilcox's and Perry's
Brigades. The Fourteenth supported these charges.
The brigade captured three flags and many prisoners.

From the left side:

First Vermont Cavalry
First Brigade, Third Division, Cavalry Corps.
----
This regiment fought Stuart's Cavalry at
Hanover, June 30, 1863, opposed Hampton's Cavalry
at Hunterstown, July 2, and charged through the
First Texas Infantry and upon the line of Law's
Brigade at the foot of Round Top, July 3.
----
Vermont Sharpshooters:
Co. F. First U.S.S. Co's E and H, Second U.S.S.;
Second Brigade, First Division, Third Corps.
----
July 2, company F aided in checking the advance
of Wilcox's Brigade west of Seminary Ridge.
Companies E and H resisted Law's Brigade
west of Devil's Den and upon the Round Tops.
July 3, the three companies took part
in the repulse of Pickett's Charge.

The Third Memorial:
Thirteenth Vermont Volunteer Infantry
1862 - 1863
On this field the right regiment of
Stannard's Vermont Brigade
Third Brigade Third Division First Corps

July 2. Five companies under Lieut.-Colonel Wm. D. Munson supported Batteries on Cemetery Hill. Near evening the other five companies commanded by Colonel Francis V. Randall charged to the Rogers House on the Emmitsburg Road, captured 83 prisoners and recaptured 4 guns after which they took position here and were soon joined by the five companies from Cemetery Hill."

July 3. In the morning 100 men advanced 45 yards under the fire of sharpshooters and placed a line of rail. When the Confederate column crossed the Emmitsburg Road the regiment advanced to the rail breastworks and opened fire as the Confederates obliqued to their left. The regiment changed front forward on first company advanced 200 yards attacking the Confederate right flank throwing it into confusion and capturing 243 prisoners.

Officers and men engaged 480. Killed and mortally wounded 22, other wounded 80.

From the left side:

The regiment volunteered in the summer of 1862 and with 968 officers and men was mustered into service October 10, 1862. The average age of the men being 23 years.

Prior to the Gettysburg campaign it served chiefly picketing a line betwen Centreville and Occoquan Va. Fourty-eight hours after the army passed pusuing the enemy to this field the regiment was ordered to join the First Corps.

Haste was so urgent that an order forbade leaving the ranks for water and after forced marches with all the attendant privations incident thereto an lack of rations by reason of the commisary train being diverted it arrived on the battle field July 1.

Mustered out at Brattleboro Vt. July 21, 1863.

This monument was erected by one hundred and ninety-three of the survivors in 1899.

From the rear:

Francis V. Randall, Captain Second Vermont Infantry, Colonel Thirteenth Vermont Infantry, Colonel Seventeenth Vermont Infantry.

July 2 In the charge Colonel Randall fell with his wounded horse but soon overtook and led the line on foot. July 3; When the Confederates began to yield to the flank attack and his order to cease firing was not heard he rushed in front of his line and by word and gesture made himself understood and thus saved the lives of many foes. He died at Northfield, Vermont, March 1, 1865. In 1893 the survivors of the Thirteenth erected a monument at his grave.

From the right side:

The statue represents Lieutenant Stephen F. Brown Co. K, who arrived on the field without a sword* but seizing a camp hatchet carried it in the battle until he captured a sword from a Confederate officer. Persevering and determined like him were all the men of this regiment of Green Mountain boys.

The Fourth Memorial:
Gibbon
1827 - 1898

John Gibbon Brigadier General
July 2-3, 1863

At Gettysburg commanded the 2nd Division II Corps on July 3, 1863 serving with "conspicuous gallantry and distinction" in the repulse of Longstreet's Assault until he was wounded and carried away from the battlefielld.

At the beginning of the Civil War, John Gibbon was a captain in the 4th Artillery serving in the Utah Territory. Assigned as Chief of Artillery in McDowell's Division, he participated in the advance on Fredericksburg during the Peninsula Campaign. He was promoted to brigadier general May 2, 1862 thereafter taking command of the IRON BRIGADE which participated in the battles of Second Bull Run, South Mountain and Antietam. In November 1862, he took command of the 2nd Division, I Corps. He was wounded in the wrist during the battle of Fredericksburg, II Corps. He was wounded in the left arm and shoulder at the battle of Gettysburg. In charge of draft deposits in Cleveland and Philadelphia until March 1864, he returned to the 2nd Division, II Corps participating in the battles of Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor and the investment of Petersburg. Gibbon was promoted to major general effective June 7, 1864. He was in temporary command of the XVIII Corps before being placed in command of the XXIV Corps, Army of the James in January, 1865. General Gibbon was in charge of the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox, April 1865.

"He has a keen eye and is as bold as a lion."

From the tablet on the rear:

John Gibbon was born April 20, 1827 in the Holmesburg section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. At the age of ten he moved with his family to North Carolina where he remained until he entered the United States Military Academy at West Point. Gibbon graduated from the Academy in 1847, 20th in a class of 38, becoming an artillery officer. He served in the Mexican War fighting at Mexico City and Toluca. After serving in the Seminole Wars he spent five years as an instructor then quartermaster at the Military Academy. Gibbon authored, THE ARTILLERIST'S MANUAL, which was published by the War Department in 1860. After the Civil War, he was appointed colonel of the 36th U.S. Infantry and then in 1869 the 7th U.S. Infantry. Commanding several posts in the West, much of Gibbon's duties were against the Indians. His troops took part in the 1876 campaign in which Custer was defeated at the Little Big Horn. Gibbon's troops arrived on the field in time to rescue the survivors and bury the dead. In 1877 he took part in the campaign against the New Perc├ęs during which he was seriously wounded. On July 10, 1885, Gibbon was promoted to brigadier-general in the regular army. He transferred to the Department of Columbia in 1885, then served in the Department of the Pacific until his retirement. General Gibbon retired in 1891, thereafter residing in Baltimore, Maryland. He served as Commander-in-Chief of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States 1895-1896. General John Gibbon died on February 6, 1896 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.

The Fifth Memorial:
42nd
New York
Infantry.
3rd Brigade,
2nd Division,
2nd Corps.
Tammany
Regiment

From the left side:

July 2, 1863. Went to
support of 3rd. Corps
about 5 p.m. Held this
position July 3rd, and,
assisted in repulsing
the assault of
Pickett's Division.
Casualties;
Killed 15, wounded 55,
missing 4.

From the right side:

Mustered into U.S.
service June 22, 1861.
Total enrollment 1210.
Participated
in 19 battles.
Killed 92.
Wounded 328.
Missing 298.
Mustered out
July 13, 1864.

From the rear:

This regiment was raised and organized by Colonel William O. Kennedy under the patronage of the Tammany Society and of the Union Defense Committee of New York City.

Address: 1195 Baltimore Pike, Gettysburg, PA 17325-2804
Directions: Gettysburg National Military Park is located in Adams County, Pennsylvania. The museum and visitor center is located at 1195 Baltimore Pike (Route 97) with a back entrance from the Taneytown Road (State Rt. 134)
Phone: 717-334-1124, ext 8023
Website: http://www.nps.gov/gett/planyourvisit/brochures.htm

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

Was this review helpful?

  • Updated May 30, 2011
  • Send to a Friend
  • Report Abuse

Comments

More Reviews (1)

Yaqui

“~Happy Trails, Keep the Faith and Keep Dreaming!~”

Online Now

Female

Top 1,000 Travel Writer
Member Rank:
0 0 0 0 6
Forum Rank:
0 0 8 4 9

Have you been to Gettysburg National Military Park?

  Share Your Travels