"Santa Teresa - muggers on the look out" Rio de Janeiro Warnings Or Dangers Tip by xellebelx

Rio de Janeiro Warnings and Dangers: 222 reviews and 107 photos

Me and my friend stayed in a hostel in Santa Teresa, beautiful looking area. But the problem is, is that it's fairly quiet and it is also very close to the favelas.
On our first day there, we went for a walk in broad daylight, and as soon as we were on a pretty much deserted part (there were only a few older ladies around), two guys came up to us holding a huge knife. and they started pulling at our bags. We weren't flashing anything valuable, I think the bag just screamed : take me!
Needless to say the next three days we were there we only took taxi's and we didn't want to set any foot in that area again, as we were pretty much traumatised.
Surprisingly enough a couple of hours later the police did find my bag, but of course my camera and (little) money was taken from it. The police later that day even brought 'a suspect' around our hostel in their car for us to identify.

I think you can NOT be careful enough walking around in that area esp when you are very european looking and are quite obviously a tourist... DO NOT take any bag, not even a plastic one (like was suggested by our hostel), IF you want to bring your camera put it in your pocket and make sure it's not visible you are carrying it. Also make sure you carry some money with you, little enough that could make a mugger satisfied, as they WILL use their weapon.

• Written May 26, 2011

Comments

Ranked Member

Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?