"swarmed by teens in metro" Pick Pockets Tip by helpwomen

Pick Pockets, Paris: 172 reviews and 57 photos

I've just returned from a trip to Paris, and for the second time had my wallet stolen in the Metro. Last time (several years ago) it was a simple pickpocket incident. I was wearing a backpack and the thief unzipped it. This time it was more frightening.

I am in my 60's and was travelling by Metro with an older friend. As we boarded the train (Sevres Babylon station) we were surrounded by a group of several girls--they looked about thirteen and were wearing school uniforms. They seemed to be helping us get on the train, but in reality were pushing pulling and grabbing us, almost pushing my friend out the door. After a few seconds, they jumped off the train as the door was closing. My wallet was gone from my purse. The car was full of people who ignored the entire incident.

We went to the local police station near our hotel to report the incident. We were treated quite politely, but not taken very seriously. Sensitized by the experience, we noticed groups of kids prowling in several public venues. We ended up feeling paranoid and could not really relax and have a good time.

I love the city of Paris, but will never go back. The city, law enforcement or whatever seem to tolerate and ignore what is clearly an epidemic of organized thievery. At the American Embassy, where we went to get an emergency passport, there was a room full of people who had similar stories.

Address: Paris