"Orto Botanico - Garden Oasis for nature lovers" Top 5 Page for this destination Rome Off The Beaten Path Tip by icunme

Rome Off The Beaten Path: 770 reviews and 1,306 photos

Emilia by the statuary pond

Emilia by the statuary pond
    by icunme
      Efforts to brace and save this tree!
      Description of above tree
  • Orto Botanico - Garden Oasis for nature lovers - Rome
      Park entrance
    by icunme

I am embarrassed now to say that this has been my back yard for 3 years now and I have just visited! It is similar to my brief tenure in New York City and never visiting the Statue of Liberty. I see a part of this garden from one of my windows every morning as I greet the world for the start of my day. It is situated right behind Palazzo Corsini which is my view from another window. What a surprise as in store for me when a dear friend, Emilia, suggested we visit.
Dimentions: The Botanical Garden of Rome comprises an area of ​​12 hectares in a secluded position on the slopes of the Gianicolo. Irrigation of crops with several streams and water are fed from above aqueduct of the Acqua Paola.
History: This was the garden park of Palazzo Corsini , the former residence of Queen Christina of Sweden. The Official website give you the detailed history and much information of interest.
Species: he garden now houses over 3000 plant species. We give here only some hints of the greatest exhibition areas.
palm trees
groves of bamboo, fern gully, rose garden
Japanese Garden
At the top of the hill you will find the original tree structure, leaving a forest of Mediterranean evergreen. The area is called Bosco Roman , and the clearings between the ancient oaks and sycamores (350 - 400 years of age) will give you fantastic views of the city.
Eighteenth-century furniture in the garden are preserved in this area the steps of the Escape and the niche which backs onto the top of the hill. You will see aquatic plants, greenhouses, simple garden and herb garden.

Directions: From the small electric bus #125 you would exit at the University John Cabot stop - or simply tell the driver "Orto Botanico." Walking along Via della Lungara past Palazzo Corsini going toward the arch you will come to a stop light - Largo Cristina di Svezia, 24 will be on your right. Walking from Trastevere - a short walk from Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere past Piazza Sant'Edigio directly toward the arch to the stop light and the Park is to your left.

othercontact: dirorto@uniroma1.it
Phone: 066 864193
Website: http://sweb01.dbv.uniroma1.it/orto/index.html

• Updated May 9, 2011

Comments

icunme Lives Here!

icunme

“I'm not aging - I'm just busy living happily ever after..............”

Have you been to Rome?