Rosebank Craft Market: "Good selection of African crafts" Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Shopping Tip by CatherineReichardt

Johannesburg Shopping: 55 reviews and 61 photos

By far the widest range of crafts in Johannesburg is to be found at the Rosebank Flea market, which is a Sunday institution for tourists and locals alike. However, if your visit doesn't coincide with a Sunday, then don't despair, as the adjacent African Craft Market is open seven days a week.

The Craft Market offers a good range of crafts and curios - mostly with an African theme - and is certainly better value for money than the overpriced craft stores that you'll come across in shopping malls.

If you're looking for something typically South African, then be sure to ask the stallholder about the origin of the goods that you're considering buying, as there's quite a lot of West African stuff on sale.

What to buy: Just about all artforms are represented. I particularly like the ornamental beadwork and the artwork, although there's probably something to suit virtually every taste and budget.

As many of the items are of organic origin (wooden carvings, basketwork, ostrich egg), inform yourself on your country's particular customs requirements before you leave in order to avoid having your beloved souvenirs confiscated - Australia and New Zealand are partcularly strict.

Theme: Local Craft

• Updated Oct 5, 2012

• vpas's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Beautifully written page. Thank you very much for all your tips. Very useful. I plan to visit South Africa sometime soon with my family.

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
      Dec 18, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Well, let us know when you have confirmed your dates and we'd love to meet up with you and your kids (ours are 9 and 6, but well travelled and love meeting people from other cultures).
      May's a good time for game viewing - as the water is becoming more limited, so animals congregate around the little that's left after the rainy season. Can I suggest that if you're hoping to see fascinating wildlife at affordable prices, you have a look at Moholoholo on my Hoedspruit page? We go there virtually every year for our anniversary, and it offers fantastic value compared to the prices charged by other private game reserves.
      We would also be happy to take you to Fordsburg (Johannesburg's inner city Indian suburb) with friends!

• vpas's Profile Photo
      Dec 18, 2012 at 8:22 AM

That sounds good! Will surely let you know as soon as we decide. Am just waiting to know the dates of college entrance exam for my older son which is sometime in the 1st week of May. I am unable to add you as friend. Please add me if possible. Looking forward to interacting with you and your family.Best Regards,Seetha

CatherineReichardt Lives Here!

CatherineReichardt

“Never go the same way twice!”

Have you been to Johannesburg?