Rosebank Craft Market: "Good selection of African crafts" Top 5 Page for this destination Johannesburg Shopping Tip by CatherineReichardt
Johannesburg Shopping: 55 reviews and 61 photos
By far the widest range of crafts in Johannesburg is to be found at the Rosebank Flea market, which is a Sunday institution for tourists and locals alike. However, if your visit doesn't coincide with a Sunday, then don't despair, as the adjacent African Craft Market is open seven days a week.
The Craft Market offers a good range of crafts and curios - mostly with an African theme - and is certainly better value for money than the overpriced craft stores that you'll come across in shopping malls.
If you're looking for something typically South African, then be sure to ask the stallholder about the origin of the goods that you're considering buying, as there's quite a lot of West African stuff on sale.
What to buy: Just about all artforms are represented. I particularly like the ornamental beadwork and the artwork, although there's probably something to suit virtually every taste and budget.
As many of the items are of organic origin (wooden carvings, basketwork, ostrich egg), inform yourself on your country's particular customs requirements before you leave in order to avoid having your beloved souvenirs confiscated - Australia and New Zealand are partcularly strict.
Theme: Local Craft
More Shopping in Johannesburg (8)
More Reviews (201)
- See All Sheer unadulterated gastroporn!
- See All The best place to buy maps and travel...
- See All Jo'burg's all but forgotten Holocaust...
- See All Some tips on parking your car safely
- See All Boutique hotel conveniently located in...
- See All Connect to the bus system at Gandhi...
- See All So, who was this Johannes bloke anyway?
- See All Bowl a maiden over at The Wanderers!
- See All Clubs in Johannesburg
- Sandton Square - much ado about nothing
- Randburg Waterfront now called...
Been to Johannesburg?Share your travels with the world!
CatherineReichardt's Related Pages
Have you been to Johannesburg?Share Your Travels